Table of Contents
If you’re trying to improve your social media marketing strategy, statistics are the perfect starting point.
Social media statistics give you valuable insight into who your audience is, their interests and habits. This helps you tailor your marketing strategies to boost engagement and ROI.
Stats can also help you benchmark your own performance within your industry and even uncover new opportunities.
Use the social media statistics below to guide your presence in 2023 and beyond.
Facebook remains an advertising powerhouse. Whether or not brands should focus on Facebook is a tough question that really depends on your individual Facebook metrics. The following Facebook statistics can clue you in further.
- Facebook is the most-used platform by marketers worldwide (90%). Instagram sits in second place (79%).
- As of Q4 2022, Facebook is the largest online social network in the world with roughly 2.96 billion monthly active users.
- 70% of American adults use Facebook
- An average American spends 33 minutes per day on Facebook.
- 56.6% of Facebook users are male and 43.4% are female (based on available gender data.)
- Almost a quarter of Facebook users in the US are between the ages 25-34.
Facebook remains a favorite among marketers. That’s not surprising, considering the massive reach offered by the platform. Plus, the increasing average age means more users are in high-level, decision-making positions in their careers.
- Instagram is the king of social selling. For consumers, it offers the best in-app shopping experience of any app. For marketers, it offers the highest ROI for selling products.
- 61.2% of total Instagram users are between the ages 18-34.
- Reels take up 30% of the time people spend on Instagram.
- Instagram’s engagement rates are four times higher than Facebook (0.60% to 0.15%), but have been continuously decreasing.
- In 2023, 29% of marketers plan to invest more on Instagram than any other platform.
Once the go-to social platform for influencers, Instagram is facing challenges from the likes of entertainment platform TikTok and its younger base appears to be dwindling.
Still, relatively high engagement rates, fresh ecommerce features and big ad spending signal that the future is still bright for Instagram.
Pinterest often doesn’t get its due when it comes to social platforms. The platform’s diverse, big-spending audience is among the most dedicated and engaged of any network. Here are some top Pinterest statistics to look out for.
- 450 million people use Pinterest every month.
- 76.7% of Pinterest users are women, 15.3% are men and 8% are unspecified.
- 45% of Pinterest users in the US have a household income over $100K, and 21% earn $30K or less.
- Pinterest is the second-most visited website in the US.
- Pinterest users spend twice as much monthly as people on other platforms.
The power of Pinterest advertising is well-documented and the platform is the perfect place to uncover new products. Also, marketers targeting a US audience would do well to include Pinterest in their marketing efforts.
TikTok has totally transformed itself to a must-have digital platform for brands. The platform’s rabid fanbase, rapid growth and sky-high usage spell great news for early adopters. Below are some interesting TikTok statistics to know about.
- TikTok has over 1 billion active users worldwide.
- TikTok is the most frequently used app worldwide, with users spending an average of 23.5 hours per month on the platform.
- TikTok’s user base skews female, with 54.1% of users identifying as women (based on available gender data.)
- 38.9% of TikTok users are 18-24 years old and account for the largest share of TikTok’s advertising audience.
- 78.9% of TikTok users are looking for fun or entertaining content on the platform.
Younger consumers and smaller influencers dominate the platform right now, but that may change in the very near future. If you’re already on the platform, make sure to watch your TikTok analytics and how to reach your audience ASAP.
Twitter has cemented itself as the hub of political discussions, memes and a prime place to go back and forth with brands. Take a look at the Twitter statistics below to understand more about marketing on the platform.
- Twitter boasts about 556 million monthly active users in total worldwide.
- 53% of Twitter users use the platform to get the latest news.
- More than half (63%) of Twitter users are men (based on available gender data.)
- 71% of marketers plan to spend less time on Twitter in 2023.
- US adults spend an average of 34.8 minutes daily on Twitter.
The rise of features like Twitter Spaces signals a window of opportunity for the platform to really earn its wings again.
To compete with emerging platforms like TikTok, the second-largest search engine in the world is making some big changes. Here are the top YouTube statistics to know about.
- As of January 2023, YouTube has over 2.5 billion users worldwide. However, the platform’s active users have decreased by 48 million over the past year.
- YouTube Shorts get 30 billion views daily from users around the globe.
- 12% of YouTube users are males aged between 25-34, and 9% are females of the same age (based on available gender data.)
- People spend an average of 19 minutes per day watching videos on YouTube.
- Nearly 90% of all visits to YouTube come from a mobile device.
Despite a slight downward trend in growth this year, YouTube is still users’ go-to video-sharing platform. With more people accessing the app on mobile, though, marketers would benefit from posting more short-form, vertical content (i.e. Shorts) on the platform.
Influencer marketing statistics
Working with influencers is one of the best inbound marketing strategies being used today. Here are some statistics about which influencer platforms marketers are leveraging, what they’re hoping to achieve and how they plan to execute influencer marketing in the future.
- Instagram offers the highest ROI to influencer marketers, followed by YouTube and Facebook.
- 56% of marketers use TikTok for influencer marketing, making it the most popular influencer marketing channel.
- Generating more engagement, reaching new audiences and strengthening community are the top three marketing goals for working with creators.
- 67% of marketers plan to spend more on influencer marketing campaigns in 2023.
- 63% of marketers plan to use AI in launching their influencer campaigns. And 2 out of 3 of these brands will use AI for identifying influencers.
More marketers are realizing the potential of influencer marketing. If influencers are not already part of your marketing efforts, it’s time to switch your focus. The key is to pick the best platforms and influencers for your brand, both of which can be automated using the right tools.
Consumer behavior statistics
The concept of buying something you saw on social media is nothing new. From product recommendations to first impressions from brands, the impact of social media on consumers is well-documented.
- More consumers report finding the perfect product by seeing a targeted ad (49%) over an organic post by a brand (40%).
- The majority (71%) of livestream viewers have purchased something via social media.
- Gen Z shoppers anticipate making more purchases on Instagram, TikTok and Snapchat, whereas Baby Boomers plan to shop more on Facebook.
- 41% of Gen Z and Millennials make an impulse purchase online every 2-3 weeks. On the other hand, only 10% of Baby Boomers can say the same.
The recent growth of direct social sales is notable. Consumers likewise crave authenticity and ads that don’t feel like ads. But the key to selling on social is to know your customer, which platforms they prefer and how their unique buying behavior works.
Use social media statistics to guide your strategy
Learning the latest social media marketing statistics is key to fine-tuning your strategy and setting smarter goals.
Are there any opportunities on new networks? Do you need to shift from organic content to ads (or vice-versa)? Should you double down on what you’re doing now?
We hope our social media statistics help you find the answers. Combing through them is totally worth it — you should bookmark them if you haven’t already.
After reviewing these stats, make sure you check out our roundup of the top social media management tools to help you maintain a memorable and consistent social presence.
Additional resources for Social Media Statistics
50+ of the most important social media marketing statistics for 2023
24 must-know Pinterest stats for marketers in 2023
30 YouTube statistics to power your marketing strategy in 2023
23 essential Twitter statistics to guide your strategy in 2023
Social media video statistics marketers need to know for 2023
26 Facebook statistics marketers should know in 2023
The social media customer service statistics brands need to know in 2022
5 stats brands need to know to engage Irish & UK consumers