If there’s one platform where it seems like the best time to post seems like 24/7 it’s Twitter (rebranded as “X”). However, we know from our initial analysis that there are more preferred engagement times for Twitter users. With 436 million monthly active users worldwide and 55% of Twitter users using the platform daily, conversations are not slowing down.
Businesses see the value of Twitter in terms of staying close to emerging topics, trends and sentiments from global audiences. And now, more than ever, marketers understand the importance of staying close to the conversations and brand sentiment. And as a platform for conversations and customer care, it’s important to understand how to use Twitter for business in a meaningful way.
Disclaimer: Data from Sprout Social include users from various plan types, industries and locations. All time frames are recorded globally, meaning you should be able to publish with the times provided in any timezone and see positive engagement results. Number of engagements represents total engagements a brand received on the specific channel during that hour time frame. Industry-specific data includes mid- to high-level engagement times. We recommend testing with your own accounts to find the most optimal send times.
- What are the best times to post on Twitter?
- What are the best times to post on Twitter by industry?
- How to find your own best times to post on social media
- How Sprout gathered the data
- Find your best times to post with Sprout
Best Times to Post on Twitter
- Best times to post on Twitter:
- Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Fridays 9 a.m. to noon
- Best days to post on Twitter: Tuesdays through Thursdays
- Worst days to post on Twitter: Sundays
Twitter has consistently been the platform for up-to-the-minute conversations and breaking news. And 2022 didn’t stop with breaking news and trends on or about Twitter. Brands looking to participate in trending topics need to be timely but conscious of their brand values in the process.
Twitter peak times for engagement grew significantly compared to last year, with hours consistently at late-morning to midday during weekdays. The best times to post on Twitter are Tuesdays through Fridays beginning at 9 a.m. and taper off around noon.
This could reflect an interest in developing news and updates as the day unfolds, as well as a desire for entertainment. Keep in mind many brands use Twitter as part of their customer service strategy, as an alternative to traditional customer support options. Brands should continue to build trust between their customers and proactively improve customer experience through social listening.
Best Times to Post on Twitter by Industry
There’s no definitive answer to what the best times to post on Twitter are, and we can only offer insight with the data we have. Industry is just one factor that plays into the success of your social posts. Consider as well as your target audience, business goals and the content itself.
Use this industry-level data to help inform your publishing calendar, and test your optimal send times with social experiments.
Best Times to Post on Twitter for Hospitals & Healthcare
- Best times to post on Twitter for Hospitals & Healthcare:
- Mondays at 2 p.m.
- Tuesdays at 8 a.m.
- Thursdays from 8 to 11 a.m.
- Best days to post on Twitter for Hospitals & Healthcare: Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Worst days to post on Twitter for Hospitals & Healthcare: Weekends
Hospitals, clinics and healthcare providers have been put to work on social media the last few years, due to the pandemic. However, social media for healthcare is more than navigating healthcare crises. It’s about educating the public, helping patients feel more comfortable with healthcare visits and doctors’ appointments, promoting their programs for aspiring physicians and establishing themselves as pillars in the community.
The best times to post on Twitter for healthcare and hospitals stay consistent compared to last year. Nearly every single day sees moderate engagement starting at 7 a.m. seven days a week. However, the best times to post on Twitter for hospitals and healthcare are Mondays at 2 p.m., Tuesdays at 8 a.m., and Thursdays from 8 to 11 a.m. Higher than average posting times are Tuesday and Thursday midmornings into early afternoons.
Hospital and healthcare social media resources
- Social media and healthcare: how to keep patients engaged
- Why healthcare orgs should invest in social listening, stat
- Supporting HIPAA Compliance on social: a cheat sheet
Best Times to Post on Twitter for Hospitality
- Best times to post on Twitter for Hospitality:
- Tuesdays at 10 p.m.
- Wednesdays at 8 p.m.
- Fridays at 8 p.m.
- Best days to post on Twitter for Hospitality: Fridays and Saturdays
- Worst days to post on Twitter for Hospitality: Sundays and Mondays
The hospitality industry has seen more engagement and posting days on Twitter. Consumers are craving some semblance of pre-pandemic life and businesses sense it. Hospitality businesses see higher engagement consistently in the evening hours, starting at 6 p.m. almost every day of the week, whereas last year, it was only for three days of the week.
The best times to post on Twitter for the hospitality industry are Tuesdays at 10 p.m., Wednesdays at 8 p.m. and Fridays at 8 p.m. Essentially late evening hours when people are looking to engage with hospitality brands. Moderate engagement last a few hours before or after those optimal posting times, and is relatively light during average business hours.
Hospitality social media resources
- Social media marketing tools for the travel industry
- How Allegiant Air’s customer relations team is taking flight with Sprout Social
- How Loews Hotels & Co succeeds at scale with Sprout Social’s all-in-one platform
- When to create separate social media accounts for your multilocation business [Free Worksheet]
Best Times to Post on Twitter for Media
- Best times to post on Twitter for Media:
- Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 10 p.m. to midnight
- Best days to post on Twitter for Media: Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Worst days to post on Twitter for Media: Saturdays
The media and entertainment industry also sees consistent engagement on Twitter. Media businesses could expect engagement from early weekday mornings through the afternoons. Major global events, political upheavals and business news have had a relevant impact on media impressions on all networks, especially Twitter.
News travels quickly, and the best times to post on Twitter for the media and entertainment industry are Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 10 p.m. to midnight.
Media social media resources
- How to supercharge your media relations strategy with social
- How RADIO.COM used social listening to crown the #ArtistOfTheSummer
- Social media and journalism: how to effectively reach the public
Best Times to Post on Twitter for Nonprofit
- Best times to post on Twitter for Nonprofit:
- Mondays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and at 8 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Fridays from 10 a.m. to noon
- Best days to post on Twitter for Nonprofit: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays
- Worst days to post on Twitter for Nonprofit: Saturdays
Our data for the best times to post on Twitter for nonprofits shows consistent Twitter engagement throughout the week during general business hours and extending into the evening.
The best times to post on Twitter for nonprofit organizations are Mondays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and 8 a.m., Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Fridays from 10 a.m. to noon.
However, even with the consistent audience engagement seen in the heatmap above, all businesses need to test their own best times to post. Whether it’s through social testing or using Sprout’s Optimal Send Times feature, find what times work best for your organization on Twitter.
Nonprofit social media resources
- Turning moments into momentum: How nonprofits can leverage #GivingTuesday year-round
- How this nonprofit institute boosts messaging reach with Employee Advocacy by Sprout Social
- The ultimate social media for museums guide
Best Times to Post on Twitter for Restaurants
- Best times to post on Twitter for Restaurants:
- Thursdays at 11 p.m.
- Best days to post on Twitter for Restaurants: Tuesdays and Fridays
- Worst days to post on Twitter for Restaurants: Sundays
In 2022, everyone was ready to get back to their pre-pandemic routines, and restaurants were ready with open doors. While online orders and delivery services may have become new offerings for some locations, the desire to draw patrons has not. Target audience and platform goals factor into ways businesses connect with their customers. Offering unique promotions and updates on Twitter will keep your restaurant in mind for potential customers.
Twitter engagement for restaurants and bars shows decent engagement midday during the week between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., generally. However, the peak engagement and best time to post on Twitter for restaurants and bars is Thursdays at 11 p.m.
Restaurant social media resources
- The complete guide to social media for restaurants & bars
- 5 tips from the man behind #Sprinklegate
- Auntie Anne’s SMM Bari’s TikTok Bootcamp [Webinar]
Best Times to Post on Twitter for Schools & Education
- Best times to post on Twitter for Schools & Education:
- Mondays at 10 a.m.
- Tuesdays from 8 a.m. to noon
- Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to noon
- Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon
- Best days to post on Twitter for Schools & Education: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Worst days to post on Twitter for Schools & Education: Sundays
Universities, higher education institutions and schools see a significant increase in engagements on Twitter compared to last year. Keep in mind that some schools manage multiple social profiles (per college, athletics, etc.) to meet these needs and effectively target distinct audiences at the right time.
High opportunities for engagement start midmorning and go through later evening hours. The best times to post on Twitter for education and schools are Mondays at 10 a.m., Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to noon, and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to noon.
From highlighting student life to sharing school updates, a social media strategy for education needs to fulfill multiple functions. Are you looking to engage with students past, present and future? Are you looking to keep a pulse on sentiment and brand health?
Schools and education social media resources
- Choose wisely: Higher education marketers take on College Decision Day
- How higher education social media has evolved in Europe
- All aboard: How Purdue University increased their social media engagement by 24%
- University branding: How to build your school’s brand on social media
- Higher ed playbook: Using social to unite your university
Best Times to Post on Twitter for Travel & Tourism
- Best times to post on Twitter for Travel & Tourism:
- Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Thursdays at 10 a.m.
- Sundays at noon
- Best days to post on Twitter for Travel & Tourism: Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays
- Worst days to post on Twitter for Travel & Tourism: Saturdays
Travel and tourism industries nearly tripled their engagement on Twitter compared to last year. As many travel restrictions continued to be lifted and the semblance of “normal” crept back into many peoples’ lives, travel and tourism businesses see an opportunity to capitalize on the suppressed desires to travel.
The best times to post on Twitter for travel and tourism businesses are Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Thursdays at 10 a.m., and Sundays at noon. And these peak hours see moderate engagement in the hours before and after those optimal times.
Travel and tourism social media resources
- How Allegiant Air’s customer relations team is taking flight with Sprout Social
- How to manage multiple social media accounts
- When to Create Separate Social Media Accounts for your Multilocation Business [Free Worksheet]
How to find your own best times to post on social media
Social marketers can plan content more effectively when they’re armed with data. And as platforms evolve, how brands and consumers use social will evolve with them, or vice versa. Staying aware of new content formats and trends might help you reach your audience in unexpected ways, or even find new segments and personas you weren’t focusing on before.
While you may be ready to jump in and post at these provided peak engagement times as part of your strategy, consider pairing this data with your own social media data analysis. You may discover that your specific target audience is active near the peak times we’ve outlined or hours earlier.
A social media management tool like Sprout Social can help you drill into your analytics and develop tailored findings for your brand accounts across all networks, holistically and individually. Gain competitive insights by comparing your performance to your competitors, to find new opportunities for engagement.
With features like post tagging and cross-network reporting, you can separate different factors like post author or types of content, and drill down into how your posting time influenced your social success.
Sprout’s patented ViralPost® technology uses the same data we’ve used to look at all our customer accounts to determine the best time to post tailored for your account. ViralPost® algorithmically determines the results for our Optimal Send Times feature, a publishing option available in all plans. Our proprietary machine learning feature isn’t new, but we’re constantly learning and improving our product to help brands surface insights faster. Our goal is to help people who use our product work more effectively.
With Optimal Send Times, the specific times offered are based on when your audience engages the most using your publishing history. ViralPost® also continually updates and refines to save you time from doing the repeated analysis and allowing you more time to craft great content.
If you’re looking for more of our findings from this year’s study of our customer data, see what we learned about the best times to post across eight industries on these networks:
- Best times to post on Social Media 2023
- Best times to post on Facebook 2023
- Best times to post on Instagram 2023
- Best times to post on LinkedIn 2023
- Best times to post on TikTok 2023
How Sprout gathered the data
We understand that these reports can raise questions about just where the data is coming from. That’s why we want to be clear about the data we pulled and how we got here.
Sprout Social’s Data Science team gathers this information by analyzing nearly 2 billion engagements across 400,000 social profiles across Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest and TikTok.
Find your best time to post with Sprout
Now’s the time to test your content calendar. Are you posting when your followers are most active? Start your free trial of Sprout Social and discover the best times to post on social media today.
Use of Twitter nomenclature across Sprout refers to newly rebranded X platform and related terminology
How to create a Twitter marketing strategy for your brandPublished on September 8, 2023 Reading time 11 minutes
How to use Twitter advanced search to get more leads for your brandPublished on July 24, 2023 Reading time 8 minutes
Twitter analytics: How to analyze and improve your Twitter dataPublished on July 18, 2023 Reading time 11 minutes
How to schedule Tweets: Your brand’s complete guide in 2023Published on June 15, 2023 Reading time 9 minutes