Similar to how it functions on other platforms, Facebook retargeting uses a pixel that tracks site visitors, so if they leave without making a purchase, they’ll be presented with related ads the next time they log into Facebook to help increase the chances of conversion in the future.
How to use Facebook retargeting
To run a Facebook retargeting campaign:
- Install your Facebook Pixel
- Go to your Facebook business user interface
- Choose Audiences from the drop-down box
- Click on Create Audience, then Custom Audience
- Choose Website Traffic
- Decide which activity should trigger ads. For instance, you can choose for people to see your ad when they visit your website, see a specific page or haven’t
- come to your profile in a certain amount of time.
- Design your ad
Best practices for Facebook retargeting
As with any kind of advertising campaign, it’s essential to have a strategy in mind. Making the most of your Facebook retargeting strategy means tracking your campaigns carefully with a tool like Sprout Social, zeroing in on the right audience and optimizing your ads.
- Segment your audience. Customizing your ads to suit specific audiences will improve your chances of click-throughs and conversions.
- Exclude past purchases. Make sure you’re not targeting audience members who have already bought the product you’re trying to sell.
- Optimize your landing pages. When people arrive on your website, make sure they know what to do next.
- Set up schedules. Run your ads on the times and days that your audience is most likely to be online.
- Use dynamic ads. Adapt dynamic ads to remind your customers of the specific products they were looking at on your site.
- Track and measure. Use tools like Sprout to track the performance of your campaigns and optimize them in the future.
Recommended for you
How to use social media ecommerce effectively in 2024Published on December 4, 2023 Reading time 8 minutes
How to gain a competitive advantage by analyzing marketing initiatives by competitorsPublished on November 30, 2023 Reading time 7 minutes
Inside The Arboretum: How Sprout built a 10,000-member strong communityPublished on November 30, 2023 Reading time 7 minutes