Instagram Live is a feature on Instagram Stories that allows users to stream video to followers and engage with them in real time. When users broadcast live video streams on their accounts, a ring highlights their profile picture in Instagram Stories to alert followers that they can view the live stream.
How Do I Use Instagram Live For Marketing?
- Product marketing: Promote products through demos, tutorials, teasers or launch announcements
- Ecommerce: Alert followers to a limited time offer or sale
- Branding: Show the behind-the-scenes of your company or use branded hashtags
- Influencer marketing: Empower influencers to engage with your followers
- Lead generation: Generate leads through user-submitted questions, pointing out landing pages and more
Which Instagram Live Features Are Available?
- Stream video in real time
- Save a replay of video to Instagram Stories
- Engage with followers as they send likes or comments
- Pin selected follower comments to top of the video
How Do I Use Instagram Live?
1. Prepare to stream the video: Determine where and when you want to broadcast. Announce the start time of the live video broadcast ahead of time to increase the chance users will view your video. Set up the products, people or props you’ll stream.
2. Select the camera icon or swipe right while in your Instagram feed
3. Choose Live > Start Live Video (optional: Choose filters by tapping on the emoji icon or select the front facing camera icon)
4. Tap End to stop the stream
How do I pin comments on Instagram Live?
Select Comment > Choose the comment to pin and hold it so it appears on the top.
How do I turn off comments?
To disable comments once the video is live, tap the settings wheel icon on iPhone or three dot icon on Android → Turn Off Commenting
How do I moderate comments?
Prevent comments you don’t want to see appear on your live video before the live broadcast, go to your profile > Select the settings wheel icon on iPhone or three dot icon > Comment Controls > Hide Offensive Comments
You can also filter out comments containing keywords, phrases or emojis that you do not want to show up.
How do I save and share live videos?
After the video ends, select Save at the top right or choose Share at the bottom of the screen.
Pros of Instagram Live
- Increase interactions with followers. Use Instagram Live as another way to speak directly to followers and drive engagement, leads and sales.
- Cost-effective way to produce content. Professional equipment or studio access is not required to create fun and interesting content via Instagram Stories.
- Track engagement and viewer metrics. See viewer counts of your stream after ending the video and use Instagram Analytics to review engagement metrics such as likes or comments or Instagram Stories analytics.
- Save and share streamed videos. After streaming, you can save and repost live video content to repurpose and lengthen the life of the videos.