We all crave validation. When it comes to brands and entities on social media, that validation typically comes in the form of verification. To be more specific, it’s all about attaining that coveted blue check mark. Verification on Instagram shows that you own your brand presence on the platform, and lets potential customers know they can trust your content.
As you’d expect, securing something like a verified badge on Instagram is not easy and not available to everyone, for obvious reasons. But if you find yourself in the camp of deserving this designation, we’ve got a few tips detailing how to get verified on Instagram.
What Does Instagram Verified Mean?
According to Instagram itself, accounts displaying the verified badge “means Instagram has confirmed that an account is the authentic presence of the public figure, celebrity or global brand it represents.”
In other words, when you see the blue check, you know you’re following the Instagram verified account as opposed to a fan account or anything else not officially recognized as legitimate via verification.
Of course, this can be frustrating when you’re first starting out on the platform, because while you may truly be the official account, others may be skeptical to follow until they know for sure.
If you feel confident in your ability to be verified, you can cut right to the chase and actually request a verified badge for your Instagram profile.
How to Request Verification on Instagram
- Log into your account and navigate to Settings from the menu on the top right
- Inside Settings, click on “Account” and select “Request Verification”
- Complete the required fields and then hit send to start the review process
As Instagram states, just because your account may be eligible for verification doesn’t necessarily mean it will designated as such. There is no guaranteed timeline for when you’ll be notified, but if denied, you’ll have to wait 30 days before attempting to request verification again.
Other Helpful Tips for Instagram Verification
If going the above route is not an option, don’t fret.
There are a couple other initiatives you can implement to enhance your chances of becoming verified on Instagram and if nothing else, are sound advice for finding success on Instagram in general.
1. Build Your Other Social Profiles
The first option is to build up your presence elsewhere. Establishing a strong following on other platforms can help make your account appear especially genuine.
For instance, there are strong links between Twitter and press announcements. That’s because politicians and journalists use Twitter to get the word out. Meanwhile, a visual platform like Instagram has strong connections with Musically and YouTube.
How do you get more followers on other platforms? Try these tips:
- Build your personality with a consistent voice and theme: A lot of brands try a shotgun approach to connecting with their audience. However, it’s much easier to make a strong connection with people if you show your unique voice online.
- Post frequently: With any social network the more active you are the more likely you are to convince people to engage with your account.
- Develop great content: Just as you’d post great pictures on Instagram to improve your following you should be developing insightful content for your other channels too. Find out what your followers are looking for from you and adhere to their needs.
2. Look out for Impersonator Profiles
While claiming that your identity is at risk might feel a bit like crying wolf–this tip actually comes straight from Instagram:
“Accounts representing well-known figures and brands are verified because they have a high likelihood of being impersonated.”
Your verified badge sets you apart as the one-and-only you. It builds trust in your followers by letting them know that they’re not following a random impersonator. People want to know that they’re following the real deal.
Letting Instagram know that you’re at risk of being impersonated may help push them to act.
3. Stay Active on Your Account
This may seem obvious but you’ll likely never be Instagram verified if you don’t actively use the platform. When admins come by to see if you’re worth verification they’ll be looking for regular activity. If you’re not using the platform, there’s no benefit in initiating the verification process.
It goes the other way, too. What’s the point of verification if you’re not active on Instagram? To improve your chances of getting that blue verified badge:
- Stock up on great photos: Instagram is all about the aesthetics. Influencers earn followers because they know how to appeal to their audience. Find out what your followers like to see on your page and get snapping.
- Take advantage of Insights: Head to your Instagram business page and use your Insights to plan content that resonates with people on your feed. Make sure to post at the time when your followers are most active. Use third-party tools like Sprout Social to learn more about your social followers and adjust your campaigns.
- Engage: Don’t forget to spend time responding to comments, liking posts and exploring relevant hashtags. Engagement is key on any social platform.
Sprout’s Instagram Audience Engagement Report provides detailed insights into trends, hashtag usage, likes and other engagement metrics. This is critical for any brand trying make analysis easier across accounts or brands.
4. Boost Your Earned Media
Want Instagram to give you that seal of approval? Show them you’re worth it.
Google yourself to see what comes up. Nothing? Fix that, because if you don’t have a widely recognized brand, there’s nothing to verify.
Remember, it’s not an algorithm deciding who should get a blue button on their Instagram account. Real people review every request manually and they likely head to search engines like Google to see what comes up for outside credibility.
Ultimately, figuring out how to get verified on Instagram involves putting in the work before you make a request.
It’s tough, but that’s why verification badges are so highly sought-after.
Is Getting Instagram Verified Worth It?
There’s a lot of planning and effort involved in Instagram verification, so make sure you have a good reason before you get started. Fortunately, there are plenty of benefits to being verified, from better brand credibility to a stronger social search presence.
IG verification differentiates you from the crowd and makes it easier for you to reach the people that matter most to you. Used correctly, it makes you more trustworthy on social media and boosts your conversion rates. All you need to do is show that you’re worthy.