An Instagram Comment is one of the two ways that people engage with the content they see on Instagram. The other option is to simply like the post.
Comments are often a more sought-after form of engagement for Instagram marketers, influencers and brands. While anyone can leave a like by double-tapping a photo, a comment is a more active form of engagement that requires genuine effort from your follower.
It’s possible to publish your first Instagram Comment alongside your IG post on Sprout Social, so you may add extra hashtags into your post and make your content more visible. Businesses can then use Sprout to track the impact of their Instagram posts.
How to leave an Instagram Comment
Leaving an Instagram comment on a post is simple.
- Open your Instagram app and sign into your account.
- Browse for the photo or video you want to comment on
- Tap on the photo to open it
- Click the Comment button located underneath the picture and type your message
- Hit the Enter button.
On an Instagram video finding the Instagram comment section is harder because the video takes up the full screen. Tap the screen to make the menu appear and click the comment button like you would on any Instagram post.
How to edit or delete an Instagram Comment
The comments that you leave on Instagram have a direct impact on your brand reputation. Fortunately, you can delete or edit your comments if you notice a typo. Tap on the comment button and swipe left and Trash symbol to remove the comment.
To edit your message, tap the three dots next to your post and click on Edit.
To hide an offensive comment that someone else leaves on your page, go to your Instagram profile and tap on the Gear icon.
In the Settings menu, tap Comments.
There’s a section here where you can toggle “Hide Inappropriate Comments” on and off. This will allow the app to automatically hide comments containing phrases that are considered to be offensive. You can also customize your experience to hide other keywords that you find offensive.
How to encourage Instagram Comments
As an essential component of social media engagement, the Instagram comment is something that you want to cultivate on your profile. Although there’s no one-size-fits-all way to accelerate Instagram growth, it’s possible to improve your chances of comments by:
- Posting at peak times: Use Instagram Insights and Sprout Social to find out when your audience is most likely to be online, then time your posts to fit that schedule.
- Posting content that provokes a response: Use compelling and interesting content to naturally draw commentary out of your target audience.
- Using your captions: Add questions to your captions that encourage people to respond. Remember to @mention anyone who might get the conversation started.
- Reply to comments: Keep the conversation going when someone does leave a message on your post.
Recommended for you
How to use social media ecommerce effectively in 2024Published on December 4, 2023 Reading time 8 minutes
How to gain a competitive advantage by analyzing marketing initiatives by competitorsPublished on November 30, 2023 Reading time 7 minutes
Inside The Arboretum: How Sprout built a 10,000-member strong communityPublished on November 30, 2023 Reading time 7 minutes