A cover photo is an image on a Facebook profile. Unlike a profile picture, cover photos are large banner graphic that introduces visitors to an individual or brand.
Facebook cover photos appear exclusively on your individual Facebook timeline. This means your followers will need to visit your profile to see them. They will also see on their timeline when you change your cover photo image.
However, thanks to the size of the image, users often convey more information through a cover photo than a profile picture. Cover photos may include photos of a product or team, promotions or merely an entertaining graphic.
How to create a Facebook cover photo
The minimum dimensions for a Facebook cover photo are currently 400 x 150 pixels. Any less and your image will appear stretched and blurry. Other rules to follow with cover photos include:
- PNG files provide the best quality image, according to Facebook.
- For the best resolution, stick to at least 820 x 312 pixels
- Make sure you’re not violating any copyrights
- Make sure your photo or video is safe-for-work
- Ensure you’re not breaking any Facebook advertising rules with your cover photo
Cover photos are public, so it’s important to choose something that appeals to everyone. Additionally, getting the resolution and size of your image right will help to convey a more professional image for your brand. A great way to make sure that your Facebook cover photo looks perfect is to use a service like Landscape by Sprout for quick and effective resizing.
Looking for Cover Photos that are already perfectly sized? Download some of our free Facebook Cover Photos!
How to upload a Facebook cover photo
Once you’ve created an effective Facebook cover photo, go to your Facebook business page and hover the mouse cursor over the cover photo space. Click “add a cover” in the left corner and upload the photo you’ve created. A preview will appear in the cover space. When you’re happy, click “publish.” Depending on what type of image you use, your cover photo can:
- Introduce your team, improving the transparency of your business.
- Showcase your products or services.
- Demonstrate your brand and enhance your professional image.
- Highlight upcoming events.
- Tell people what your company is all about.
Tips for using cover photos
There’s no one-size-fits-all guide to the perfect cover photo. Follow the rules of Facebook and get your sizing right and the opportunities are endless. However, a few useful tips include:
- Make sure to use a simple image with a clear focal point to capture visitor attention. Remember that the colors and imagery should reflect your brand identity.
- Pair your profile picture with your Facebook cover photo for a cohesive image. This looks professional and well-organized.
- Optimize your cover photo to appear well on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Align elements carefully on your Facebook cover photo. Remember that Facebook’s call-to-action buttons appear on the right of your profile. Create images that draw the eye to that part of the page and encourage clicks.
- Update regularly. Remember to keep your cover photo fresh and engaging. A cover photo might showcase new facebook marketing promotions, support seasonal changes and more. Be creative and explore your options.
Recommended for you
We wanted to explore consumer misconceptions of social media professionals: Instead, it sparked a dialogue about the need for greater diversityPublished on December 5, 2023 Reading time 9 minutes
Top 10 reputation management software and how to select the best tool for your businessPublished on December 5, 2023 Reading time 8 minutes
How to use social media ecommerce effectively in 2024Published on December 4, 2023 Reading time 8 minutes