When companies advertise on social media, they have two options. The first choice is to use content to gather organic engagement and attention. The second solution is to pay for an improved reach using the advertising features on your social channel.
Promoted tweets are a form of paid advertising on Twitter. They appear in the same format as typical tweets; however, promoted tweets benefit from an extended reach compared to your primary content. All promoted tweets also have a clear Promoted label attached to them. This means that your audience will know that you’re paying to share your ad.
How do promoted tweets work?
Promoted tweets or sponsored posts on Twitter are a tool designed to complement a full Twitter advertising strategy. Promotion makes it easier for companies to reach a wider audience or boost engagement for an outstanding campaign. Similarly to other tweets, users can comment on, Retweet and Like promoted tweets.
When companies pay for a promoted tweet to help them stand out on Twitter, it means that they place their best content in front of a specific group of people. Promoted tweets generally appear in the following places:
- On users’ profiles that fit the target demographic for the campaign
- On a live Twitter feed depending on how relevant the tweet is to the user
- On a promoted Trends search
- At the top of pertinent search pages
What are promoted tweets for?
A promoted tweet is just one form of paid advertising available on Twitter. They’re well-suited to companies that want to increase their audience engagement and reach. If you have a big announcement coming up, or a new marketing campaign to focus on, a promoted tweet generates additional attention. Promoted tweets appear more often than your traditional Twitter content.
A promoted tweet encourages greater engagement because you’ll be able to target your content towards the people who are most likely to enjoy it. Twitter allows you to choose specific audience demographics that you want your tweet to appear in front of.
Targeting your audience carefully will help you to get the best ROI on your Twitter advertising.
How to improve your promoted tweet strategy
To get the most out of a promoted tweet campaign, it’s essential to have a plan in place. Think about what you want to accomplish from your initiative. For instance, do you want to promote a specific campaign or increase your follower base? Once you know your goal:
- Listen to your audience: Make sure that you understand your target audience and what they’re looking for.
- Deliver valuable content: Remember that your content needs to be relevant and engaging, not just promotional.
- Use hashtags: Twitter hashtags are essential for getting your content seen and shared. Make sure you use them in your promoted tweet.
- Track your campaign: Measure the performance of your campaigns using tools like Sprout Social and Twitter’s built-in advertising platform.
- Tinker: Adjust your campaigns based on what you learn from social listening and testing.