Sprout Social is looking to hire an Engineering Manager to our Engineering team.
Why join Sprout’s Engineering team?
With collaborative, cross-functional teams that span mobile, front-end, back-end, QA and site reliability engineering—the Sprout Engineering team is a place to sharpen your craft and solve hard problems with the smartest people in the industry. You’ll get to work on a “tech-giant” scale, steering our engineering team to make an impact on our company and our customers. As a leader of a dynamic team, you will not only influence the architecture, design, and roadmap of your team, but also inform how our products and services interconnect. Join other empathetic leaders on our Engineering Leadership team who help each other grow and learn while we support and guide our teams to deliver world-class products.
What you’ll do
- Build a high functioning, well-motivated engineering team and steer them to iteratively deliver quality results.
- Leverage your experience in building and maintaining highly scalable and reliable software systems to guide the team to iteratively deliver quality software.
- Lead the team through complicated product and technical road maps, and partner with cross functional and engineering leaders to align on the strategy for your team and support its execution.
- Grow your team of engineers by example with effective feedback, coaching, and career development.
- Work directly alongside the team by providing code reviews, upholding development standards, participating in support rotations and making your own code contributions.
What you’ll bring
We’re looking for a collaborative, pragmatic, highly motivating engineering leader to help our teams succeed. If you can confidently lead a team to solve hard problems, and push them to learn from and teach each other, we'd love to talk with you!
The minimum qualifications for this role include:
- 5+ years of experience developing and supporting software in a production environment
- 1+ years of experience managing and leading engineering teams
Preferred qualifications for this role include:
- Experience developing enterprise level distributed applications using Python, Java, distributed queuing systems, etc.
How you’ll grow
Within 1 month, you’ll plant your roots, including:
- Completing Sprout Social’s new hire training & onboarding program alongside other new Sprout team members. You’ll gain a broader understanding of our products and how your role fits into the organization.
- Making a plan with your manager to set initial priorities, align on expectations for your role, plant goalposts for your career, and learn the team's current Mission, Goals, and Objectives along with future product roadmaps.
- Beginning to understand the capabilities and limitations of our platform, web, and mobile technologies.
- Starting to build relationships with the team.
- Starting to learn the capabilities and limitations of the social network APIs we integrate with.
- Learning Sprout's management practices and tools.
- Deploying and making changes to our production systems.
- Providing regular technical guidance and feedback through code reviews.
Within 3 months, you’ll start hitting your stride by:
- Participating in architectural discussions and decisions, asking the right questions to push your team to successful outcomes.
- Analyzing trends with bugs and helping the team identify where to best focus.
- Helping the team shape the technical roadmap for long term success.
- Assuming management of the engineers on your team, identifying career growth opportunities and working with them on goals.
- Starting 1:1s with everyone on the team and continuing to build relationships.
- Helping the team improve processes and team rituals.
- Building relationships with our infrastructure, product, and support teams and identifying ways your team can be more proactive and effective.
- Successfully completing your first support week rotation.
Within 6 months, you’ll be making a clear impact through:
- Guiding your team through and contributing to the successful launch of a major feature.
- Understanding the business goals and helping the team balance technical debt, bugs, and product features.
- Starting to grow your leaders and ensure they are focused on the right things.
- Leading performance review and career band calibration process for your team.
- Proactively focusing your team on the right problems.
Within 12 months, you’ll make this role your own by:
- Having development plans in place for your team and holding them accountable.
- Getting acclimated to the hiring process and contributing to the recruitment and interviewing processes
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change Sprout Engineering in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
Our Benefits Program
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our Grow@Sprout program, employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and mentorship programs for aspiring leaders
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Candidates for this remote work opportunity must be based in either British Columbia or Ontario. If you are based in another location within Canada, we aren’t able to hire in your location at this time; however, if you’d like to stay in touch with us in case that changes in the future, please apply and we’ll save your application for possible future consideration.
Sprout Social is a global leader in social media management and analytics software. Sprout’s intuitive platform offers comprehensive social media management solutions, including publishing and engagement functionality, customer care, influencer marketing, advocacy, and AI-powered business intelligence to more than 30,000 brands. Founded in 2010, Sprout has a hybrid team located across the globe. Sprout Social has been recognized as a Glassdoor Best Places to Work, PEOPLE Companies that Care, Great Place to Work Best Workplace for Parents and more.
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.