Senior Data Scientist
Senior Data Scientist
Sprout Social is looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join its Data Science and Engineering team.
Why join Sprout’s Data Science and Engineering team?
At Sprout, we've only scratched the surface of what's possible with our data. There’s no shortage of opportunities to make a big impact on the business through the development of data products such as new machine learning systems, KPIs and dashboards, or new data integrations and data sources. Because Data Science, Data Engineering and Business Analytics all work under the same team here, there aren't the standard organizational roadblocks teams sometimes face to do their work. Our work impacts and touches all corners of the business, and we enable Sprout’s data culture through support, teaching and mentoring across teams. Come join us as we seek to act as both engineers and advisors, building functionality within the Sprout ecosystem and partnering with our colleagues across the organization to enable a more data-informed culture.
What you’ll do
- Develop and deploy new product features that deliver new capabilities to our customers.
- Work closely with product managers, engineers, and designers on our product teams to define opportunities for applying data science to our products.
- Own the machine learning model development process for your project, including curating data, training models, and working with cross functional teams to get your models into Sprout’s products.
What you’ll bring
We’re looking for an experienced and passionate data scientist to build great software with us and to help shape the features we build and how we work with Product. If you can confidently deploy data science services, and are passionate about learning and mentoring others, we’d love to talk with you!
The minimum qualifications for this role include:
- 3+ years working as a data scientist working in cross-functional teams to deploy production-level data products
- 2+ years of experience leveraging the Python data science stack for model development and deployment
Preferred qualifications for this role include:
- Experience working in a broad range of ML problem spaces, such as classification, regression, time-series, recommendation systems, anomaly detection, and/or natural language processing
- 2+ years of experience retrieving and manipulating data in relational and/or non-relational databases
- Prior experience training and deploying neural networks such as PyTorch or Tensorflow and using HuggingFace or other NLP libraries.
- Prior experience building and deploying customer-facing data products in a SaaS environment
How you’ll grow
Within 1 month, you’ll plant your roots, including:
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members.
- Become familiar with our existing services and available data.
- Learn about our existing model and deployment patterns.
- Begin meeting with product and data science stakeholders to understand existing problem spaces and needs.
Within 3 months, you’ll start hitting your stride by:
- Work with your manager to define the first data product you’ll work on and begin the process of developing it
- Either extend existing services or develop new tools to help our customers optimize their social content
- Continue learning about Sprout’s products and customers to inform a potential roadmap of data-products
Within 6 months, you’ll be making a clear impact through:
- Deploy your first data product in concert with product management, design, engineering, and ML Engineering
- Work with stakeholders to begin to develop a longer-term roadmap of data products
- Provide input into our ML Engineering practice to help define deployment patterns that will be leveraged by you and other data scientists
Within 12 months, you’ll make this role your own by:
- Actively monitoring and iterating on the data product you’ve deployed
- Continuing to develop new data products
- Identify new opportunities for data science-backed capabilities
- Collaborate with our ML Engineering team to identify technical debt and performance bottlenecks within our system and come up with a plan to improve the code
- Expand your skills by learning from other engineers and data scientists around Sprout.
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change your team in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
Our Benefits Program
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our Grow@Sprout program and employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. Sprout maintains a remote workforce in many places in the United States. However, we are not set up in all states, so please look at the drop-down box in our application to see whether your state is listed. Few roles require an office setting. If your position requires a physical presence in a Sprout office, it will be evident in the job listing and your offer letter.
The base pay range for this role is $145,000.00 - $175,000.00 USD annually. Individual base pay is based on various factors, including work location, relevant experience and skills, the responsibility of the role, and job duties/requirements.
Sprout’s compensation ranges are intentionally broad to allow for our team members' growth within their role. These ranges were determined by a market-based compensation approach; we used data from trusted third-party compensation sources to set equitable, consistent, and competitive ranges. We also evaluate compensation bi-annually, identify any changes in the market and make adjustments to our ranges and existing employee compensation as needed.
Base pay is only one element of an employee's total compensation at Sprout. Every Sprout team member has an opportunity to receive restricted stock units (RSUs) under Sprout’s equity plan. Employees (and their dependents) are covered by medical, dental, vision, basic life, accidental death, and dismemberment insurance, and Modern Health (a wellness benefit). Employees are able to enroll in Sprout’s company’s 401k plan, in which Sprout will match 50% of your contributions up to 6% with a maximum contribution. Sprout offers “Flexible Paid Time Off” and ten paid holidays. We have outlined the various components to an employee’s full compensation package here to help you to understand our total rewards package.
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our latest DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We'll do all we can to ensure you're set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Sprout Social offers deep social media listening and analytics, social management, customer care, commerce and advocacy solutions to more than 30,000 brands and agencies worldwide.
Sprout’s unified platform integrates the power of social throughout every aspect aspect of a business and enables social leaders at every level to extract extract valuable data and insights that drive their business forward. Sprout operates across major social media networks, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.