Senior Manager, Product Design
Senior Manager, Product Design
Sprout Social is looking to hire a Senior Manager of Product Design to join their Product-led Growth team
Why join Sprout’s Product Design team?
Design is in our DNA at Sprout, from our best-in-class products and award-winning user experience, to our elegant customer journey and the systems that power our teams. We’ve built a Product Design program centered on the pursuit of growing leaders and tailoring growth paths to individuals—recognizing that every designer is at their best when they’re challenged to grow in ways that map to their unique strengths. Supported and challenged by a diverse and connected design community, and armed with an expansive human-centered toolkit, our talented creative problem solvers demonstrate the true power of design to drive business impact, and lead their teams to see social differently.
What you’ll do
- In lockstep with your cross-disciplinary partners, you’ll study our users and market, identify opportunities for experimentation across the customer journey, help shape strategic approach, analyze results, foster shared learning, and spark optimizations along the way.
- In collaboration with your Design Leadership peers, you’ll shape our growth practice, product design community and program, and help ensure that Sprout continues to be an exemplary place to grow both craft and business acumen.
- You’ll sharpen the skills of your direct reports and champion their voices, foster the culture of your small team, ensure deep understanding of the customers and business, support informed decision making, improve rituals, and bolster critiques.
- You’ll own the experience for critical jobs-to-be-done, phases of product adoption, and key areas of our software. From project kickoff to release, you’ll have your hand in the direction of what we make, how we make it, how we measure it, and how we tell its story.
- You’ll leverage, steward, and contribute to our design systems; uphold our standards of inclusive craft and culture; and model the same empathy, curiosity, and resilience that you work to foster in your people.
What you’ll bring
As a Senior Manager, Product Design, you’ll bring a passion for both nurturing growth in others and demonstrating quality craft through your designs. You’ll be ready to play the role of ‘player-coach,’ continuing to flex your honed set of individual contributor skills, while also expanding your people leadership toolkit. You’ll bring a dedication to delivering true customer value, and a sense of responsibility to design software that balances power and simplicity as it scales. You’ll come with excitement to join a collaborative environment, surrounded by smart, ambitious and caring teammates that want to build great things, together. You’ll show-up eager to add your voice to our Product Design community while also carving out space for the voices of others. And you’ll generously contribute to a healthy, authentic, creative culture, because you understand that that’s where strong design starts.
These are the minimum qualifications that our hiring team is looking for in this role:
- 3+ years of design leadership experience with direct reports under your guidance and leadership, managing people and shaping design culture
- 5+ years of experience designing and shipping products and features from inception to launch in a fast paced environment
- Experience partnering across product and engineering to facilitate the successful delivery of quality product experiences
- Examples of structuring projects, processes, tools or initiatives to set teams up for success
Additionally, these are the preferred qualifications that would indicate a particularly strong candidate:
- Sharp communication skills, with the ability to tell compelling stories, give and receive feedback gracefully, and facilitate working sessions
- A portfolio that showcases not only what you’ve shipped, but the impact it had
- Experience working on SaaS applications
- Experience working on Growth teams or related domains
- Capable of leading research initiatives
- Practice exercising divergent and convergent thinking, with the ability to both vision and execute
- A self-starter, with a commitment to pushing yourself and others to always be growing
We can’t wait to hear your story, to tell you our own, and to shape each others’ as we continue to grow!
How you’ll grow
Within 1 month, you’ll plant your roots, including:
- Experience Sprout’s in-depth onboarding, covering everything from our company mission and values, hearing directly from executives and founders, to deep training on our products and the value that Sprout delivers to our customers.
- Make a plan with your manager to set initial priorities, align on expectations for your role, plant goalposts for your career, and learn about Sprout’s approach to people leadership and product building.
- Meet all of the designers on our team, get a lowdown on our design system, tools and file structures, and learn how Product Design partners with other departments and disciplines.
- Spend 1:1s with your direct reports to understand their goals, strengths, and opportunities so that you can lay foundations for supporting their career progression.
Within 3 months, you’ll start hitting your stride by:
- Get to know your counterparts within our product organization and form important bonds with Product, Engineering, and Marketing leaders. Start joining team rituals, connecting with your peers, swapping ideas and sharing perspectives.
- Take advantage of Sprout’s ‘Focus Days’— Wednesdays dedicated to no meetings so everyone can focus on the work that we’ve committed to.
- Learn how Sprout has done things to date, and think about how we might make our culture and processes even better going forward
- Learn the voice, thinking, and habits of our users while developing a solid foundation of knowledge on our product.
- Collaborate with your team and begin designing real world work!
- Start to design your own days, weeks, and working style to carve out space for focus, rest, and execution– so that you can establish healthy, balanced productivity.
- Share your personal tactics, processes, and favorite things about being a maker while geeking out with teammates within the broader Design organization at Sprout.
- Help your team think through complex problems and offer high-level guidance on each stage of their work.
Within 6 months, you’ll be making a clear impact through:
- Ship a range of work into the world, analyze results, and get real user feedback so that we can continue to make our product even better.
- Further your influence on our design and product strategy as you learn more about our customers and industry.
- Weigh in on resourcing, helping align design skill sets to business needs.
- Develop a career plan alongside each of your direct reports and continue conversations with your manager on your own growth path
- Expand the breadth and depth of your design and people leadership toolkits, and your exposure to new challenges, ideas and perspectives.
- Run collaborative workshops to bring together partners around the company to help define and design great user experiences.
- Influence a strong culture of design critique and collaboration, ensuring our designers and our work are held to a high-quality standard.
Within 12 months, you’ll make this role your own by:
- Lead the performance review and career band calibration process for your people
- Become an integral voice in driving future strategy for your product team
- Present your research, insights and design explorations with leaders across Design, Engineering and Product Management and executives.
- Continue to sharpen your craft methods and skills, level-up your strategic business acumen, and shape a unique career path to fit your evolving strengths and passions.
- Further develop as a people leader, learning from some of the best industry voices and developing alongside other managers across the business
- Support recruiting and hiring new talent
- Explore involvement in communities in and outside of Sprout, consider opportunities to add your voice and talent to our Community Resource Groups, and ways to live out our company values in the public and civic spaces that matter most to you.
- Having learned a lot about what works and what doesn’t on our team and in our product, you’ll help us think through how we make Sprout even better for the next year ahead!
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
Note: When applying, please include a link to samples of your work. This could be a portfolio website, a zip file of artifacts, or a case study of a specific project that showcases your people leadership skills.
Our Benefit Program
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our Grow@Sprout program, employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and mentorship programs for aspiring leaders
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Candidates for this remote work opportunity must be based in either British Columbia or Ontario. If you are based in another location within Canada, we aren’t able to hire in your location at this time; however, if you’d like to stay in touch with us in case that changes in the future, please apply and we’ll save your application for possible future consideration.
Sprout Social offers deep social media listening and analytics, social management, customer care, commerce and advocacy solutions to more than 30,000 brands and agencies worldwide.
Sprout’s unified platform integrates the power of social throughout every aspect aspect of a business and enables social leaders at every level to extract extract valuable data and insights that drive their business forward. Sprout operates across major social media networks, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.