Staff Product Designer
Staff Product Designer
Sprout Social is looking to hire a Staff Product Designer to join our Global and Mobile teams.
Why join Sprout’s Product Design team?
Design is in our DNA at Sprout, from our best-in-class products and award-winning user experience, to our elegant customer journey and the systems that power our teams. We’ve built a Product Design program centered on the pursuit of growing leaders and tailoring growth paths to individuals—recognizing that every designer is at their best when they’re challenged to grow in ways that map to their unique strengths and opportunities. Supported and challenged by a diverse and connected design community, and armed with an expansive human-centered toolkit, our talented creative problem solvers demonstrate the true power of design to drive business impact, and lead their teams to see social differently.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with your cross-disciplinary partners in product, engineering, marketing, and data science to study our customers and market, identify problems and opportunities, help shape strategic vision, foster shared learning, and spark optimization ideas
- Build beautiful, helpful and easy-to-use web and mobile experiences, utilities, and frameworks that power human connection.
- Partner with other product design craft leaders to ensure that our entire platform maintains quality, consistency, and elegance as we scale.
- Flex your understanding of our business, users, industry and craft to champion user needs, mentor other designers, and demonstrate the power of design to drive business impact.
- Leverage, protect, and contribute to our design systems; uphold our standards of inclusive craft and culture; and model the same empathy, curiosity, and resilience that you expect from your peers and partners.
What you’ll bring
As a Staff Product Designer, you’ll bring an open mind, an eagerness to both teach and learn, and a growth mindset. You’ll come with a passion for solving complex problems and delight when relishing in all the details of a design. You’ll bring a dedication to delivering true customer value, and a sense of responsibility to design software that strategically balances power and simplicity as it scales. You’ll come with excitement to join a collaborative environment, surrounded by smart, ambitious and caring teammates that want to build great things, together. You’ll thoughtfully own the experience of key areas in our software– from project kickoff to release, you’ll have your hand in the direction of what we make, how we make it and how we tell its story. You’ll put all of your design skills on display. Even better: you’ll learn new ones along the way. You’ll show-up eager to add your voice to our Product Design community and eager to grow from the voices of others. And you’ll generously contribute to a healthy, authentic, creative culture, because you understand that that’s where strong design starts.
The minimum qualifications for this role include:
- 5+ years of experience designing and shipping products and features from inception to launch in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated experience working across teams and disciplines to deliver unified experiences
Preferred qualifications for this role include:
- A passion for understanding and solving complex problems in order to enhance the lives of our customers
- Sharp communication skills, with the ability to tell compelling stories, give and receive feedback gracefully, and facilitate structured working sessions
- Experience working on SaaS applications
- Has designed and shipped experiences for both web and native mobile software
- Experience implementing rigorous research practices to ensure we aren’t just shipping product - we’re shipping value
- Practice exercising divergent and convergent thinking, with the ability to both vision and execute
- Evidence of cross-device and systems thinking, with a commitment to uphold and evolve quality standards through contributions to our design system
- A self-starter, with a commitment to pushing yourself and others to always be growing
- A portfolio that showcases not only what you’ve shipped, but the impact it had
We can’t wait to hear your story, to tell you our own, and to shape each others’ as we continue to grow!
How you’ll grow
Within 1 month, you’ll plant your roots, including:
- Experience Sprout’s in-depth onboarding, covering everything from our company mission and values, hearing directly from executives and founders, to deep training on our products and the value that Sprout delivers to our customers.
- Make a plan with your manager to set initial priorities, align on expectations for your role, plant goalposts for your career, and learn about Sprout’s approach to people leadership and product building.
- Meet all of the designers on our team, get a lowdown on our design system, tools and file structures, and learn how Product Design partners with other departments and disciplines.
- Get to know your counterparts within our product organization and form early bonds with Product, Engineering, and Marketing partners. Start joining team rituals, connecting with your peers, swapping ideas and sharing perspectives.
Within 3 months, you’ll start hitting your stride by:
- Take advantage of Sprout’s ‘Focus Days’— Wednesdays dedicated to no meetings so everyone can focus on the work that we’ve committed to.
- Learn how Sprout has done things to date, and think about how we might make our culture and processes even better going forward
- Learn the voice, thinking, and habits of our users while developing a solid foundation of knowledge on our product.
- Collaborate with your team and begin designing real world work!
- Start to design your own days, weeks, and working style to carve out space for focus, rest, and execution– so that you can establish healthy, balanced productivity.
- Share your personal tactics, processes, and favorite things about being a maker while geeking out with teammates within the broader Design organization at Sprout.
- Help your team think through complex problems and offer guidance on each stage of their work.
Within 6 months, you’ll be making a clear impact through:
- Ship a range of work into the world, analyze results, and get real user feedback so that we can continue to make our product even better.
- Further your influence on our design and product strategy as you learn more about our customers and industry.
- Expand the breadth and depth of your design toolkit, and your exposure to new challenges, ideas and perspectives.
- Run collaborative workshops to bring together partners around the company to help define and design great user experiences.
- Influence a strong culture of design critique and collaboration, ensuring our designers and our work are held to a high-quality standard.
Within 12 months, you’ll make this role your own by:
- Become an integral voice in driving future strategy for your product team.
- Present your research, insights and design explorations with leaders across Design, Engineering and Product Management and executives.
- Continue to sharpen your craft methods and skills, level-up your strategic business acumen, and shape a unique career path to fit your evolving strengths and passions.
- Further develop as a craft leader, learning from some of the best industry voices and developing alongside other strategic problem solvers across the business.
- Support recruiting and hiring new talent.
- Explore involvement in communities in and outside of Sprout, consider opportunities to add your voice and talent to our Community Resource Groups, and ways to live out our company values in the public and civic spaces that matter most to you.
- Having learned a lot about what works and what doesn’t on our team and in our product, you’ll help us think through how we make Sprout even better for the next year ahead!
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
Note: When applying, please share a link to a portfolio that showcases your recent work.
Our Benefits Program
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our Grow@Sprout program and employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. Sprout maintains a remote workforce in many places in the United States. However, we are not set up in all states, so please look at the drop-down box in our application to see whether your state is listed. Few roles require an office setting. If your position requires a physical presence in a Sprout office, it will be evident in the job listing and your offer letter.
The base pay range for this role is $127,000.00 to $190,000.00 USD annually. Individual base pay is based on various factors, including work location, relevant experience and skills, the responsibility of the role, and job duties/requirements.
Sprout’s compensation ranges are intentionally broad to allow for our team members' growth within their role. These ranges were determined by a market-based compensation approach; we used data from trusted third-party compensation sources to set equitable, consistent and competitive ranges. We also evaluate compensation bi-annually, identify any changes in the market and make adjustments to our ranges and existing employee compensation as needed.
Base pay is only one element of an employee's total compensation at Sprout. Every Sprout team member has an opportunity to receive restricted stock units (RSUs) under Sprout’s equity plan. Employees (and their dependents) are covered by medical, dental, vision, basic life, accidental death, and dismemberment insurance, and Modern Health (a wellness benefit). Employees are able to enroll in Sprout’s company’s 401k plan, in which Sprout will match 50% of your contributions up to 6% with a maximum contribution. Sprout offers “Flexible Paid Time Off” and ten paid holidays. We have outlined the various components to an employee’s full compensation package here to help you to understand our total rewards package.
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our latest DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We'll do all we can to ensure you're set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Sprout Social offers deep social media listening and analytics, social management, customer care, commerce and advocacy solutions to more than 30,000 brands and agencies worldwide.
Sprout’s unified platform integrates the power of social throughout every aspect aspect of a business and enables social leaders at every level to extract extract valuable data and insights that drive their business forward. Sprout operates across major social media networks, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.