Senior Engineering Manager
Senior Engineering Manager
Sprout Social is looking to hire a Senior Engineering Manager to the Engineering team.
Why join Sprout’s Engineering team?
With collaborative, cross-functional teams that span mobile, front-end, back-end, QA and site reliability engineering—the Sprout Engineering team is a place to sharpen your craft and solve hard problems with the smartest people in the industry. You’ll get to work on a “tech-giant” scale, steering our engineering teams to make an impact on our company and our customers. As a leader of a dynamic set of teams, you will not only influence the architecture, design, and roadmap of your teams, but also inform how our products and services interconnect. Join other empathetic leaders on our Engineering Leadership team who help each other grow and learn while we support and guide our teams to deliver world-class products.
What you’ll do
- Build high functioning, well-motivated engineering teams and steer them to iteratively deliver quality results.
- Leverage your experience in building and maintaining highly scalable and reliable software systems to guide the teams to iteratively deliver quality software.
- Lead the team through complicated product and technical road maps, and partner with an Engineering Director to align on the strategy for your teams and support its execution.
- Grow your team of engineers by example with effective feedback, coaching, and career development.
What you’ll bring
We’re looking for a collaborative, pragmatic, highly motivating engineering leader to help our teams succeed. If you can confidently lead teams to solve hard problems, and push them to learn from and teach each other, we'd love to talk with you!
The minimum qualifications for this role include:
- 6+ years of experience developing and supporting software in a production environment
- 2+ years of experience managing and leading engineering teams
- 2+ years of experience leading/guiding teams with big data architecture and data modeling for efficient processing of large volumes of data at scale
Preferred qualifications for this role include:
- Experience developing enterprise level distributed applications using Python, Java, distributed queuing systems, etc.
How you’ll grow
Within 1 month, you’ll plant your roots, including:
- Complete Sprout Social’s new hire training & onboarding program alongside other new Sprout team members. You’ll gain a broader understanding of our products and how your role fits into the organization.
- Make a plan with your manager to set initial priorities, align on expectations for your role, plant goalposts for your career, and learn the team's current Mission, Goals, and Objectives along with future product roadmaps.
- Begin to understand the capabilities and limitations of our platform, web, and mobile technologies.
- Start to build relationships with the team.
- Start to learn the capabilities and limitations of the social network APIs we integrate with.
- Learn Sprout's management practices and tools.
Within 3 months, you’ll start hitting your stride by:
- Participate in architectural discussions and decisions, asking the right questions to push your team to successful outcomes.
- Analyze trends with bugs and help the team identify where to best focus.
- Help the teams shape the technical roadmap for long term success.
- Assume management of engineers and people managers. Identify career growth opportunities and work with them on goals.
- Start 1:1s with everyone on the team and continue building relationships.
- Help the team improve processes and team rituals.
- Build relationships with our infrastructure, product, and support teams and identify ways your teams can be more proactive and effective.
Within 6 months, you’ll be making a clear impact through:
- Guide your team through the successful launch of a major feature.
- Understand the business goals and help the team balance technical debt, bugs, and product features.
- Start to grow your leaders and ensure they are focused on the right things.
- Lead performance review and career band calibration process for your team.
- Proactively focus your team on the right problems.
Within 12 months, you’ll make this role your own by:
- Have development plans in place for your leaders and hold them accountable.
- Get acclimated to the hiring process and contribute to the recruitment and interviewing processes
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change Sprout Engineering in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
Our Benefits Program
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our Grow@Sprout program and employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. Sprout maintains a remote workforce in many places in the United States. However, we are not set up in all states, so please look at the drop-down box in our application to see whether your state is listed. Few roles require an office setting. If your position requires a physical presence in a Sprout office, it will be evident in the job listing and your offer letter.
The base pay range for this role is $215,000 to $245,000 USD annually. Individual base pay is based on various factors, including work location, relevant experience and skills, the responsibility of the role, and job duties/requirements.
Sprout’s compensation ranges are intentionally broad to allow for our team members' growth within their role. These ranges were determined by a market-based compensation approach; we used data from trusted third-party compensation sources to set equitable, consistent, and competitive ranges. We also evaluate compensation bi-annually, identify any changes in the market and make adjustments to our ranges and existing employee compensation as needed.
Base pay is only one element of an employee's total compensation at Sprout. Every Sprout team member has an opportunity to receive restricted stock units (RSUs) under Sprout’s equity plan. Employees (and their dependents) are covered by medical, dental, vision, basic life, accidental death, and dismemberment insurance, and Modern Health (a wellness benefit). Employees are able to enroll in Sprout’s company’s 401k plan, in which Sprout will match 50% of your contributions up to 6% with a maximum contribution. Sprout offers “Flexible Paid Time Off” and ten paid holidays. We have outlined the various components to an employee’s full compensation package here to help you to understand our total rewards package.
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our latest DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We'll do all we can to ensure you're set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Sprout Social offers deep social media listening and analytics, social management, customer care, commerce and advocacy solutions to more than 30,000 brands and agencies worldwide.
Sprout’s unified platform integrates the power of social throughout every aspect aspect of a business and enables social leaders at every level to extract extract valuable data and insights that drive their business forward. Sprout operates across major social media networks, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.