Engineering Director, Infrastructure
Engineering Director, Infrastructure
Sprout Social is looking to hire a Director of Engineering, Infrastructure to the Engineering team.
Why join Sprout’s Engineering team?
With collaborative, cross-functional teams that span mobile, front-end, back-end, QA and site reliability engineering—the Sprout Engineering team is a place to sharpen your craft and solve hard problems with the smartest people in the industry. You’ll get to work on a “tech-giant” scale, steering our engineering teams to make an impact on our company and our customers. As a leader of a dynamic set of teams, you will not only influence the architecture, design, and roadmap of your teams, but also inform how our products and services interconnect. Join other empathetic leaders on our Engineering Leadership team who help each other grow and learn while we support and guide our teams to deliver world-class products.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with product, engineering and security to develop and execute a strategy for our Infrastructure teams that balances investments in product features alongside technical initiatives.
- Align the subject matter expertise of your teams with product teams to ensure excellent outcomes and experiences for our customers.
- Leverage your experience in building and maintaining highly scalable and reliable systems to grow and mature our tech stack.
- Build high functioning, well-motivated engineering teams and steer them to iteratively deliver quality results.
What you’ll bring
We’re looking for a collaborative, pragmatic, highly motivating engineering leader to help our Infrastructure teams succeed. If you can empathetically lead teams to solve hard problems, and push them to learn from and teach each other, we'd love to talk with you!
The minimum qualifications for this role include:
- 7+ years of experience building and supporting infrastructure in a production environment with 3+ years doing so in a cloud native environment
- 5+ years of experience leading, managing and developing engineering teams
- 2+ years of experience guiding teams operating large-scale systems in a performance sensitive environment
Preferred qualifications for this role include:
- Experience developing and deploying applications in containerized ecosystems using Kubernetes
- Experience working with product and security to balance competing priorities, drive adoption and deliver business value
- Experience with architecture, design and production operation of large scale data and analytics solutions leveraging technologies such as Hadoop, EMR, Spark, Elasticsearch and NoSQL Databases like Cassandra
- Experience with compliance standards like SOC 2, ISO 27001, FedRAMP
- Managing globally distributed software teams
- Experience maturing Disaster Recovery & Business Continuity plans
How you’ll grow
Within 1 month, you’ll plant your roots, including:
- Experience Sprout’s in-depth onboarding, covering everything from our company mission and values, hearing directly from executives and founders, to deep training on our products and the value that Sprout delivers to our customers.
- Get acclimated to the team's current and future product roadmaps.
- Begin to understand the capabilities and limitations of our infrastructure technologies that power our products.
- Start to build relationships with the product, security and engineering directors.
- Deploy code to production in order to understand the engineering environment, build tools, and deployment mechanisms.
- Learn Sprout's management practices and tools.
Within 3 months, you’ll start hitting your stride by:
- Begin to hone the team's vision alongside the product, security and engineering directors
- Participate and collaborate in architectural discussions, asking the right questions to push your team to successful outcomes.
- Help the teams shape the technical roadmap for long term success.
- Assume management of your team's people managers and most senior software engineers. Meet with them regularly and provide them with direct, constructive feedback on their work, as well as formulating career growth plans.
- Start 1:1s with everyone on the team and continue building relationships.
- Help the team improve processes and team rituals.
- Build relationships with our product engineering, data science and support teams and identify ways your teams can be more proactive and effective.
Within 6 months, you’ll be making a clear impact through:
- Guide your teams to consistently deliver impactful roadmap projects with high quality.
- Understand the business goals and help the team balance technical debt, bugs, and product features.
- Start to grow your leaders and ensure they are focused on the right things.
- Get acclimated to the hiring process and assume the staffing plan and process for the team.
- Run the performance review and career band calibration process for your team.
- Convey the strategy and vision to your team, engineering leadership, and the broader engineering team.
- Proactively focus your team on the right problems.
Within 12 months, you’ll make this role your own by:
- Have development plans in place for your leaders and hold them accountable.
- Develop a technical strategy for Infrastructure to further unlock product team velocity through a healthy balance of self-service, standardization, and subject matter expertise.
- Help to hone the engineering processes across all engineering teams.
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change Sprout Engineering in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
Our Benefits Program
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our Grow@Sprout program and employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. Sprout maintains a remote workforce in many places in the United States. However, we are not set up in all states, so please look at the drop-down box in our application to see whether your state is listed. Few roles require an office setting. If your position requires a physical presence in a Sprout office, it will be evident in the job listing and your offer letter.
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our 2021 DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We'll do all we can to ensure you're set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Sprout Social offers deep social media listening and analytics, social management, customer care, commerce and advocacy solutions to more than 30,000 brands and agencies worldwide.
Sprout’s unified platform integrates the power of social throughout every aspect aspect of a business and enables social leaders at every level to extract extract valuable data and insights that drive their business forward. Sprout operates across major social media networks, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.