Payroll Specialist I
Payroll Specialist I
Sprout Social is looking to hire a Payroll Specialist I to the People Operations team.
Why join Sprout’s People Operations team?
As members of the Sprout People Operations team, we are champions of Sprout’s unique culture. Doing our jobs effectively means every candidate has an incredible experience with Sprout Social, every team member is successful from day one, and every business unit has the talent and support needed to meet and exceed aggressive goals.
What you’ll do
- Use your domain expertise to refine payroll processes that are effective, efficient, and compliant.
- Play a key role in helping us continue to develop education around paystubs, deductions, and payroll taxes for our employees.
What you’ll bring
Sprout Social is looking for a Payroll Specialist who has a strong understanding of payroll and HRIS systems, how systems work together, and the downstream impact of data quality. You’ll have previous experience preparing year end W-2s and other payroll-related tax filings and reports as well as demonstrated experience and maturity in handling confidential and sensitive information.
The minimum qualifications for this role include:
- 1-2+ years experience in a payroll administration role, involving compliance in multiple states
- Excellent analytical and Excel skills (Pivot tables, VLookups, IF formulas, etc.)
Preferred qualifications for this role include:
- Current knowledge of applicable US federal, state and local labor laws
- Previous experience with Workday and ADP
How you’ll grow
Within 1 month, you’ll plant your roots, including:
- Experience Sprout’s in-depth onboarding, covering everything from our company mission and values, hearing directly from executives and founders, to deep training on our products and the value that Sprout delivers to our customers.
- Make a plan with your manager to set initial priorities, align on expectations for your role, plant goalposts for your career, and learn about Sprout’s approach to payroll processes.
- Shadow the administration of domestic and international payroll.
- Become familiar with our benefits offerings, as well as our HRIS (Workday) and how they impact payroll. We want you to dive in and help us find ways we can optimize our processes. Don’t be afraid to give us feedback. We welcome it!
Within 3 months, you’ll start hitting your stride by:
- Take an impactful supporting role in our domestic and international payroll administration.
- Begin responding to payroll-related employee service desk tickets.
- Support the resolution of State tax notices.
- Partner with members of Finance to ensure accurate payroll recording and reconciliation.
Within 6 months, you’ll be making a clear impact through:
- Have your first performance conversation with your manager, where you’ll discuss your accomplishments in your role and work together to build goals for your professional growth.
- Work closely with People Operations team members and vendors to ensure compliance in all payroll and tax jurisdictions.
- Complete Workday testing of new RSU releases alongside the People Operations team.
- Assist with preparation of year end W-2s and other payroll-related filings or reports.
Within 12 months, you’ll make this role your own by:
- Be completely at home as a critical member of the People Ops team, as well as the company as a whole, with a deep understanding of the team’s needs.
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to continue to advance our Payroll function, People Ops team and Sprout in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered.
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
Our Benefits Program
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our Grow@Sprout program and employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. Sprout maintains a remote workforce in many places in the United States. However, we are not set up in all states, so please look at the drop-down box in our application to see whether your state is listed. Few roles require an office setting. If your position requires a physical presence in a Sprout office, it will be evident in the job listing and your offer letter.
The base pay range for this role is $62,400.00 to $93,600.00 USD annually. Individual base pay is based on various factors, including relevant experience and skills, the responsibility of the role, and job duties/requirements. In addition to base pay, some Sales and Success roles can earn sales incentives.
Sprout’s compensation ranges are intentionally broad to allow for our team members' growth within their role. These ranges were determined by a market-based compensation approach; we used data from trusted third-party compensation sources to set equitable, consistent and competitive ranges. We also evaluate compensation bi-annually, identify any changes in the market and make adjustments to our ranges and existing employee compensation as needed.
Base pay is only one element of an employee's total compensation at Sprout. Every Sprout team member has an opportunity to receive restricted stock units (RSUs) under Sprout’s equity plan. Employees (and their dependents) are covered by medical, dental, vision, basic life, accidental death, and dismemberment insurance, and Modern Health (a wellness benefit). Employees are able to enroll in Sprout’s company’s 401k plan, in which Sprout will match 50% of your contributions up to 6% with a maximum contribution. Sprout offers “Flexible Paid Time Off” and ten paid holidays. We have outlined the various components to an employee’s full compensation package here to help you to understand our total rewards package.
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our 2021 DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We'll do all we can to ensure you're set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Sprout Social offers deep social media listening and analytics, social management, customer care, commerce and advocacy solutions to more than 30,000 brands and agencies worldwide.
Sprout’s unified platform integrates the power of social throughout every aspect aspect of a business and enables social leaders at every level to extract extract valuable data and insights that drive their business forward. Sprout operates across major social media networks, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.