Our mission at Sprout Insights has always been to help business owners, marketers, community managers, and other professionals develop practical digital strategies, and we need more writers to help us show the industry what great branded content can be.
We’re looking for people who have experience at notable business and tech publications hitting the digital pavement to research and write narratives about social media teams or publishers’ struggles and successes, as well as trend pieces that involve speaking with sources and drawing conclusions from real data.
You should be able to find the essence of complex topics and present that information in plain, clear language with just a touch of passion and enthusiasm. We’re not looking for analysis of IPOs and acquisitions, but actionable strategies and human stories.
You should also be able to closely follow a style guide and our established processes for formatting and editing work — basic professional writer stuff. The pay is very competitive. Below are the responsibilities and qualifications, along with instructions for how to apply.
Role: Contributing Writer
Sprout Insights is looking for bright and personable bloggers to write in-depth, original articles about business and brands that use social media and other digital tools to reach customers. The position is highly flexible, but bloggers will be expected to produce a few articles per month to our demanding specifications. This is a paid-per-article, freelance position. Previous experience as a professional writer is required.
- Write timely, engaging narratives and profiles about current trends, strategies, and stories that are setting the tone for the social media marketing and digital business spaces.
- Complete 2-4 articles of around 800 to 1,000 words monthly.
- Learn and follow best practices and editorial style.
- Respond to commenters on both social networks and the site itself.
- Previously published writer with professional experience in the social media and technology industries, especially as they pertain to business and marketing
- Strong writing skills and an ability to write bullet-proof, intellectually stimulating copy while adhering unfailingly to style guidelines and editorial processes
- Experience and comfort interacting with industry professionals, ideally with a roster of existing contacts
- Knowledge of social networks such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and more as they relate to marketing and business
- Works well with deadlines
This is a part-time freelance work agreement and a work-from-home position. The accepted applicants will be paid per article at a competitive rate.
How to apply
If you’re interested, please email email@example.com a cover letter describing your experience, knowledge, and whatever else you bring to the table. Also include three professional writing samples either original or hosted elsewhere on the web — personal blogs won’t cut it. Please include “Contributing Writer, Sprout Insights” in the subject line. Thanks!
About the Company
Sprout Social is a social media management platform used by leading companies across the globe to increase the efficiency of their social marketing efforts, community building and customer support via social channels such as Facebook and Twitter. Sprout is known for its remarkable usability and industry leading feature-set on both Web and Mobile platforms. Sprout Social is headquartered in Chicago, IL, where our team of passionate and talented employees work tirelessly for our customers to continue to set the pace in the market. Sprout Social was founded in 2010 and is backed by the venture funds of Lightbank and NEA.
Image credit: David Martyn Hunt
Samuel Axon: Samuel is the Editorial Director supervising Sprout Social's editorial and web content projects. He has years of experience in blogging and social media, having previously worked as an editor at social media and technology news sites Mashable and Engadget. He also helped build the white label web content management system Crowd Fusion from the ground up.